Saturday, June 20, 2009

Table Mountain and Cape Town



Today was a tourist day – after sleeping off the excesses of the previous night we ate a fabulous brunch after which we piled into a van for a trip to Table Mountain. The resemblance to California remains striking; driving along the roads between the style of buildings, the vegetation, and the light you would almost think you were in San Francisco (except for the whole driving on the left thing). And yes it’s neat to see the water go down the drain the other way to…

It was cloudy when we got there so we were told that the hike would probably not be safe, and took the cable car up instead. As luck would have it the clouds cleared although the day was still pretty hazy. This reminded me of Mount Diablo in California, just a spectacular view. I had no idea that these mountains were so old.

For dinner we went to Mama Africa for a great meal and live music. I’m interested to see how next week turns out – the racial mix and racial views of some of the different volunteers from Stellenbosch are, shall we say, more varied than I was expecting. As one of my classmates was pointing out it is interesting to wonder if contact with the likes of our group and how we interact with others will make some of this group re-evaluate certain assumptions that they have about how people interact. This brings an entirely new dynamic to the teaching next week that I frankly wasn’t expecting but I can really only wait and see.

We haven’t yet been to the internet café and the pre-paid credit internet goes REAL fast and isn’t cheap so I’ll be uploading more images as soon as I can, but not immediately.

Now to work on my Negotiations paper and maybe at some point get some sleep!


No comments:

Post a Comment