Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sorry, Mom

Today most of us went on an all-day excursion to the Eastern Cape to go on a shark dive tour. Sorry , Mom. But the professor’s almost-twelve-year-old went along too so it must have been safe. J One of the members of our group found us not only an ecologically responsible tour company but also a very good price.

The weather was pretty lousy for the drive out (very foggy) but the glimpses I saw of the scenery were amazing. This is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been with the dramatic hills (like Hawaii), and trees like I’ve seen pictures of, and of course the red dirt.

Anyway the shark tour was about like you’d expect – the power boat was going way faster than I’ve ever been before so that was neat. They lure the sharks with fish oil in the water, and then throw out bait on a string to lure them close (and sometimes when you’re lucky they bite at it!). There was only one cage so we went down in three groups. I was in the second group, and there was room in the third group so I went in again. There is no scuba gear or anything, just a wetsuit and a mask so when a shark comes along they yell “Down! Down! On the left!” and you go underwater to take a look. It was pretty amazing although as someone pointed out a bit less so after seeing such things in HD on huge widescreen TVs back home. But seeing it in person was great, and I definitely think that the third group got by far the best viewing so word to the wise if anyone ever does this – make sure you get in the water later than sooner. Because I was in the water so much I didn’t get a lot of pictures, but I added the best picture I took. The sharks are so beautiful and graceful (and yes very cool when they are nearly touching you and chomping at bait!). We saw one shark with a wire hanging out of the side of its mouth – apparently even though great white sharks are protected (South Africa protected them for the first time in the early 1990s and they were added to the CITES list in the last couple of years) and there is a big fine and prison time involved if you are caught, people still poach them because the jaws can sell for $100,000. Now THAT is an economic incentive.

Because we had been lucky and attracted sharks quickly we had extra time and motored over to Shark Alley (aka the McDonald’s drive-thru for great whites) and saw all the seals that live there. That was also pretty amazing just like being on Animal Planet. They were so cute!

Looking forward to tomorrow (yes we are here to do something other than tourist attractions), I must say I’m very disappointed that in contrast to the last time Babson did this trip our group did not share in learning the curriculum we are supposed to be delivering. I find the whole thing really disorganized but that’s another subject – this is really all about the learners and I really hope that they are just as excited this year as I’ve heard they were in the past. I’m definitely looking forward to meeting them and helping in just the little way that I can because I can’t kid myself – what I can do in two weeks (one week for some of them) is miniscule. I am hoping they get as much out of it as I will. Yes, I admit, I’m feeling more than a little rich country guilt already – I spent more on this trip than most of these kids will probably make in 10 years. But ultimately if I can show them a spark and hopefully push already motivated kids over the edge to actually do something with their ambitions then it’s all worthwhile.

1 comment:

  1. Very exciting to swim with sharks! And I don't think your Mom was too worried - anyway, she didn't find out until after you were back.

    When we were in Milan four years ago we talked to some people from South Africa who said theirs was the most beautiful country in the world. I said I did not doubt it and added, have you been to Vermont? Different, of course, different.

    Can't wait to hear about your interactions beginning Monday.

    ReplyDelete