Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Initial Thoughts

I depart for South Africa in just a couple of days - what once seemed like a distant trip is now very close at hand. I have been describing the trip as teaching entrepreneurship to high school students, which I think is a fair summary. The outline of the trip is the following:
  • After getting settled in to the housing at Stellenbosch University, we will receive a few days' worth of training on the curriculum we will be teaching
  • We teach Monday-Friday for two weeks; the weekend in the middle we will be going to Cape Town for some tourist and cultural activities
  • The final few days we go on safari in Kruger National Park, then return home

While I have some idea of what we will be doing and teaching over there, I am sure that the actual reality will be much different. I wonder how the South African townships resemble other parts of the world that I have visited, and I'm very excited to meet new people. There is really no substitute for the vividness that exposure to a new place brings. I really hope that at the end of this visit I will feel as though I have contributed something positive (that sounds trite and I know it, but it's also true!). I also hope I'm able to keep up with my work and other Babson coursework (we're starting the Capstone on June 21st and I'm very excited for that as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment