Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Stuck in SA





We started the day hunting a male lion who we could hear roaring – very, very cool. Unfortunately we did not find him, but I think we were close a couple of times. We did, however, see two male cheetahs chilling on top of a termite mound. They are so beautiful, and it’s totally different to see them in the wild than on a cheetah reserve. We didn’t ever see any leopards but we saw four out of the big five and honestly for me just seeing what we saw of the lions would have been enough. Guess I should have been born a Leo!

The rest of the day was pretty well a complete disaster – our tour operator showed up 45 minutes late to get us, then apparently didn’t know what time our flight was so took us on the scenic route including a very long stop for a lousy “fast food.” End result – we got to the airport 42 minutes before our flight left, and our seats had already been given away to standby passengers.

So most of the group was rebooked on a flight that gets in about 24 hours after originally scheduled, but I have to be at work much sooner than that so I’m getting on a flight to New York and figuring out a way to get back to Boston from there. Also maybe I’ll somehow figure out how to shower and get some appropriate clothing for the work dinner I have that evening – somehow I don’t think my Maties pullover (my official favorite piece of clothing, aside from the Maties logo not being big enough) is going to work for that particular crowd.

My boss is literally going to kill me. At least Rebecca won’t, barring continued misfortune.

So we’re staying at this guest house that is probably the most disgusting hotel I’ve ever stayed in. Mary and I had to be moved to a room where the shower and sheets were actually clean. After wolfing down some food and a Castle at the buffet dinner we all shared the internet connection off the cell phone network before crashing into bed – what a cranky group we get when we’re going to be 24 hours late getting home and all our plans are shot to heck. When I was talking about how much I wanted to stay here longer I was thinking more of Stellenbosch than Johannesburg but tomorrow may bring its own adventure, hopefully a better one than today’s!

Just reflecting a bit on the trip – it’s so funny how some things just don’t turn out at all how you intended sometimes. I remember having a moment of panic the Sunday night before the first week teaching wondering what I had gotten myself into, but by the end of the process everything turned out so well both for me and for the learners. I have so many memories of teaching, of the learners, of things we’ve done and most of all some of the people I’ve met that I’ll take with me forever. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a place where I felt so immediately at home and comfortable, despite all the obvious differences, but I do know I will be back here, and hopefully soon (assuming I survive the next couple of days!). After all, I have some unfinished business!

And maybe next time someone will explain cricket to me. All my visits to London and no one would explain it either. Whatever, I know it can’t hold a candle to American football!

No comments:

Post a Comment