Saturday, July 4, 2009

Leaving Stellenbosch




Today was essentially a long ceremony. Two learner groups from each school participated in a business plan competition, and presented powerpoints to the entire assembled group. Bloekombos was not represented because of the short program (just this week), which I know was disappointing to them and I felt really terribly. But the groups from Hector Peterson who presented did really well, I am terribly proud of them! It really warmed my heart to see the progress of all the learners in just the short amount of time that we spent, and I believe and hope that many of them took some good learning out of this. How many will start their own business, I am not sure, but I think they all gained some good skills and confidence. Hopefully they had as good an experience as I did!

Sne told me that some of the learners asked him if I was a professional teacher which surprised the heck out of me, but I’ll take it as a compliment. I was definitely forced out of my comfort zone this week by having to lecture so much but I think it was a good learning experience for me as well.

Afterwards I signed the certificates for the Bloekombos learners, and we all took pictures and had some sad goodbyes. I do wish we were staying even a few days longer, I had such a good time here in this lovely city. Our hosts were wonderful and gracious, working with the learners was an amazing experience I will always take with me, I’m very glad to have met some new friends and aside from the first week even the weather was amazing. I will admit to having a good time scaring the locals by telling them how cold the winters are in Boston – some of the Hector Peterson learners said they wanted to come visit me in the U.S. some day which would be totally amazing, but I advised them not to come in the winter because they would not enjoy it.

We rushed out of the apartment and traveled to Cape Town airport where we caught a flight to Johannesburg, and we’re staying at some crazy modern hotel. The lights in our shower are green, but hey, at least we have a shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment